Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
NightMist NightMist is offline

Default Poppies

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 03:01:05 +0000, Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:27:29 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
I just placed my seed order from Pinetree (superseeds.com) Mostly
vegetables, but a few flowers and herbs too.

In my flower garden I'm going to grow poisonous plants this year for
the foundation; so maybe the rabbits will leave them alone :-)
Foxgloves, nicotiana, and opium poppies. Do I need to plant the
poppies as soon as the ground surface thaws a little? I seem to recall
that they need a few freeze/thaw cycles to germinate well, but that
might be a different kind of poppy. Can they be transplanted?

Not sure where you are in the world, but if you're in the US, please be
advised that opium poppy seeds are legal, but the plants are not. On
the theory that you, too, can prevent lawyers, it may be best to find a
different species.
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21...08/1308_12.htm

No poppy really seems to take to transplanting.

Kay

Unless you are planting a huge field of them without a license, or have
slashed the seed pods for opium in plain view of one and all, law
enforcement is not apt to take notice. Unless of course they are already
arresting you for something else and one of them is aware of what opium
poppies look like.
I usually grow hungarian blue breadseed poppies for the seed.
Technically illegal. Fortunately you don't need to plant a lot of them
to give enough seed for baking for a year. Even if you make Hungarian
goodies that are stuffed with poppy seeds.

I sow them in the fall. I missed last year because I was ill, so DH will
soon be reminded of what the stupid seed costs to buy by the pound.
I suppose I could try stratifying them in the fridge. All I would lose
is a couple pinches of seed if that fails.

The seeds are legal, the flowers are legal, the dried seed pods are legal.
The plants and the straw are illegal.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?