Old 12-02-2013, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Poppies

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 22:22:48 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
Kay Lancaster wrote:
to smoke them or something. :-/ Maybe I should plant a different kind
of poppy then; they are all bitter and somewhat poisonous.

Nah, the US federal code does a good job of covering it all, leaving an
exception for possessing seeds to cover the culinary uses. The plant
itself, and all parts except for the separated seeds, are considered
Schedule II drugs.

When I first moved here there were annual red poppies all over the
place. They looked like Flander's poppies except they were double. Not
sure what happened to them; one year they just didn't come back.

Poppies in general are very sensitive to 2,4-D and similar auxin
analogs. I'm going to guess it was spray drift or just volatilized
2,4-D that did in your poppies. The good news is that double Shirley
poppies (the double form of corn poppies, the ones mentioned "In Flanders
Fields" are pretty easily available on the seed market. e.g.
https://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=161
http://www.territorialseed.com/product/740/139
http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.co...y_shirley.html
http://www.silverfallsseed.com/seed/...ble-Petal.html

The last source is not far from me -- definitely some of the prettier
farms in the area.

Oh yes, the d*** deer that eat just about everything else I plant, don't
bug my P. orientale.

Kay