Old 13-02-2013, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Guess The New Beechgrove Presenter

In article ,
Martin wrote:

I have downloaded some French books onto my Kobo, but I need to see
if I can hack it enough to make the dictionary feature useful. At
present, the word lookup tends to say things like "paysans: plural
of paysan", and looking up and/or translating words is FAR too
painful to use when reading.

I've found that the dictionary that is included with a Kindle
excellent. I was given the choice of English UK or English US, but no
foreign dictionaries.

The UK English dictionary that is on a Kindle is very good.

You may find it useful - I wouldn't, and don't need to check.
I will ask my wife whether she ever bothers, but I doubt it, and
her vocabulary is a fraction of mine (though still large).

At least Kindle's Oxford Dictionary of English gives a better
definition of paysans than the one you quoted. There is not much point
in having a large vocabulary, without the definitions to go with it.

Sigh. I was describing what the French one did and, for the Nth
time, I am interested in a FRENCH dictionary - and I don't care
whether it is French-French or French-English, as long as it is
useful.

As far as my vocabulary goes, OF COURSE I know the meanings of the
words. Please don't be idiotic. The Oxford Dictionary of English
is comparable to the Shorter Oxford (but oriented more towards
more modern use and with a lot of detail omitted). That's not a
lot of use to me, which is why I was talking about the full OED.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.