Old 13-02-2013, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default does anyone know about Cornus hongkongensis?

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:54:40 +0000, echinosum wrote:

'Emery Davis[_3_ Wrote:
;977977']Wondering if anyone is growing or has any knowledge of this
pretty Cornus?

[]
this species is less hardy than C. angustata.

Crug sell them, grown from seeds they collected 7 years ago. Perhaps
they can give some advice. They recommend well drained, though the PFAF
data sheet suggests clay may be OK. I'd suspect in general with
marginally hardy evergreens that well-drained is a better idea, because
it is often stem rot that gets them, at least that's been my experience
with killing marginally hardy evergreens. Though actually my soil is
fairly well drained, it was sharply drained, at least for the upper
layers, that I needed to reduce the risk of killing them.

Yes, I have the same experience re stem rot, or low pseudomonas
infections. No doubt sharp drainage is always going to be better.
Actually I do mound planting, and last I looked it was keeping above the
watery mess for the time being (didn't pull it to look at the bottom of
the roots, of course!) When I poked around I must have come across the
PFAF article.

Was really wondering what parts of the country, if any, people are
growing it, but it appears not to be a very common plant.

Cheers, -E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy