Old 14-02-2013, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Original Jake The Original Jake is offline

Default Guess The New Beechgrove Presenter

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:34:58 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

And I checked this morning. All my dahlia tubers have rot. A first but
a pain in the proverbial! Some are over 10 years old. Still, a chance
for renewal.

What a bummer! Sorry to hear that. Will you be able to salvage anything?

I tried cutting off the rotten bits and ended up with virtually
nothing. They were prepped and stored in their usual dry coir (I don't
use peat) but I'm wondering if, perhaps, the coir wasn't totally dry.
The bulk of the tubers were a squishy mess, not the fungussy stuff all
over them but real smelly decomposition.

TBH they didn't perform that well last year (weather probably) and I
was half thinking that I wouldn't bother this year but grow something
more wet tolerant instead. But that didn't make the discovery today
any more palatable.

On a happier note, my stored fuchsias are starting to bud and I think
my pelargoniums have mostly come through OK - no sign of anything
untoward at least.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.