Old 14-02-2013, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Original Jake The Original Jake is offline

Default OT TV sound

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 19:08:59 +0000, David Rance
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 Bob Hobden wrote:

"David Rance" wrote ...

.
.
.
.
Well, I wasn't *quite* ready to go out and buy a new set but was now
in a position where I had to. After doing a lot more research I
finally decided on a Samsung Smart TV. I thought that, if the sound is
poor, I can still plug it into the hi-fi. When it arrived, imagine my
disappointment when I found it wasn't possible to do that. Yes, there
was a sound output but it was digital and my hi-fi is too old to accept that!

However, all's well that ends well because the sound from the new
Samsung is superb and I don't need a separate set of speakers. It's
even better than my old Sony CRT set. The picture's pretty good, too,
especially in HD.

If you use a set top box for HD, something like my Freesat Humax 1TB
recorder, they have normal sound outputs on them.

I have used a set-top box since digital transmissions started. It
wouldn't be a good idea to use it in conjunction with the new Samsung
because the decoded signal becomes available at different rates and
there would be syncing problems.

Anyway, as I said above, I don't need to. The sound on the Samsung is
excellent.

David

We had a Sony Bravia in the lounge. Sound OK but the picture was crap.
We relocated it to the breakfast room (OK for breakfast TV) and bought
an LG plasma TV. About 3 months later we recovered a load of floor
space, and cut down on dusting, by boxing up and flogging the hi-fi
separates collection. As CDs have replaced vinyl (which replaced 78s)
and the sound has deteriorated as a result, we find that the speakers
on the telly (OK it's a biggie so we have separation) produce just as
good a sound as the old bulky hi-fi setup did.

It's a case of do your research properly. Our TV not only has
different video modes but also different audio ones. All touch of the
button stuff so we can swap easily from film soundtrack to orchestral
CD. The BluRay player doubles up as a CD player quite happily.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.