Old 15-02-2013, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Guess The New Beechgrove Presenter

wrote in message ...
In article ,
David Rance wrote:

His exact words, after tasting it, were "not quite ripe", then "not
quite ready, it's a little bit bitter". I've always understood that
bitterness in cucumbers was to do with irregular watering and/or uneven
temperatures, not to do with whether it's unripe or not ready.

Or am I wrong? If a cucumber is bitter when it's not ready will it lose
that bitterness when it is ready?

No, but my limited experience is that most cucumbers are bitter
when gherkin-sized. Pickling reduces this, because salinity is
antagonistic to bitterness, just as sweetness is to sourness.

It's a long time since I tried growing cucumbers but, when I did, I
didn't have much success. They were bitter! So what do I know?! :-|

You and me, both :-( I did once get some that were partially
successful.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have found Cucumbers to be the opposite to Runner Beans. We like to pick
Runners when they are small and tasty, let them grow big and they can be
tough, however, Cucumbers are much better left to grow large.

Mike