Old 24-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Michael Saunby

Default One wasp

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
I personally wouldn't have put the "even" in front of the hornets. They
don't occur where I live now, but when we lived further south we had
them in the garden. They're much more docile and less aggressive than
wasps - big stripey pussycats, in fact :-)

Malcolm

That's how I think of bumble bees. My wife runs a mile, but I think they

are sort
of "cute". I can be dead heading plants and they land in a flower next to

my
hand - they never seem the slightest bit interested in me so I leave them

to it.
Live and let live. Wasps on the other hand - its open warfare!

Bumble bees I remove from the house by closing my hand around them - since
they rarely sting and it doesn't hurt much if they do. Wasps I'll admit I
tend to flick with a fingernail and then flick them out the window - some
live, some don't. Hornets I remove using a glass and a piece of paper.
The same for honey bees, though often they can be directed with a hand wave
or too.

For those that want to try the experimental method of working out what you
have by how much the sting hurts - wasp stings hurt a little (rather more
than a nettle) and a bee sting hurts like hell and the sting is left behind
with the venom sack still pumping. Not sure what a hornet sting is like,
probably like a wasp.

Michael Saunby