Old 15-02-2013, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Sissinghurst

On 2013-02-15 16:03:22 +0000, Martin said:

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:46:27 +0000, Sacha wrote:
snipOn two or three occasions I've asked stewards why the NT
doesn't have an "everything shuts on Tuesday" policy and each has
agreed it would be a very good idea but the powers-that-be won't do it,
or just don't pick up on the suggestions. I did once email the NT
about it but didn't even get a stock reply. I think they do great work
btw and admire the volunteers who give up so much of their time. But I
do think it's probably a bit top-heavy in the bureaucracy department.

We can cope with scheduled closings, but not closing for the afternoon
without warning, because of a booking for a private event in the
evening. Incidentally large parts of the NT Fountains Abbey website
are broken. I wonder if they know or care.

Again, this can sometimes be a problem the public aren't aware of. I do
know of an instance where the heirs of the former owners were
responsible for the maintenance of a bridge on land used by NT
customers. There was a minor dispute about it but the family paid for
it to be repaired and then gave it to the NT. Such things can be quite
protracted and the more expensive, the more so, I'd think.

I saw on the website that
members of English Heritage can get into Fountains Abbey free. Is
there a general reciprocal arrangement between English Heritage and
NT?

No idea I'm afraid.
--

Sacha