Old 24-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Natty_Dread

Default Identify this weed

Hi everyone! I'm here in the DC suburbs of Northern VA, zone 7a/b. For
some reason this year, strange weedies I've never seen before have sprouted
ALL OVER my lawn. They're about six inches high (no, we're not slackers,
we've just had a lot of rain recently and haven't mowed the grass yet for
fear of compacting the soil) and have straight stems with little leaves that
look almost like ivy topped with small purple flowering things. These
things are taking over our back yard, and as I said, I've never seen them
before -- we've been here almost three years and we generally just get
clover and other leafy weed-type things in the lawn. Any ideas on what they
might be and the best way to get rid of them without killing the grass?
Thanks in advance!

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA