Old 16-02-2013, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Sissinghurst

And if you want to change the garden where do you stop? Are you going
to "Uncapability" the landscape? Are you going to bulldoze the finest
landscape anywhere at Stourhead so that Piet Oudolf can make it the
biggest prairie around? Of course not.

There are good reasons for not being able to change the outside of a
Grade I listed building. Maybe we should be thinking about having Grade
I listed gardens, too, and restoring them to their original state - not
"improving" them.

MY point was that a very pleasant home garden has been changed to a
large commercial enterprise.
Like revisiting the corner shop of ones youth to find it's now a Tesco
superstore.