Old 17-02-2013, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT TV sound

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:32:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:36:47 +0100, Martin wrote:

It's a fairly trivial routine operation. The surgeon who did my
cataracts 16 years ago had already done 4,000 cataract operations,
when he did mine. The main risk is infection.

Yep, its local anthestic a day hospital job in many parts of the less
developed world.

Normally local anaesthetic everywhere, unless you have a very long
eyeball in which case total anaesthetic is used. It's about a half day
job even with total anaesthetic.They want you out of the hospital
before you can catch an infection.

Do one eye, come back next week/month get the other eye
done... I suspect this is a very basic "cure" popping out the old cloudy
lens and popping in a rigid standard replacement.

The replacement lens is flexible it is rolled into a cylinder before
being inserted into the eye through a 2-3mm slit just above the iris.

You then get glasses to
"match" the new lenses to your eyes.

I wouldn't be surprised if more advanced treatment allow for the
replacement lens to be matched to the eye and be flexable so you still
have variable focus.

Replacement lenses are matched to the eye, but are not variable focus.

Have you had this operation yourself?