Old 24-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Vox Humana

Default Keeping a Messy Garden

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message

Reminds me of the conversation I had with my neighbor last night. She
was bemoaning the fact that our yard looked better than hers and she
paid a service a lot of money to get hers in better shape. *laugh*
That's the exact reason why I refuse to pay anyone to do anything with
my yard. It doesn't take much and it certainly doesn't need the heavy
amount of chemicals they put down to get it to look decent. All I do is
seed, put down some fertilizer and lime and occasionally I strap on my
aerating sandals and take a stroll through the yard.

Last night she was putting down major amounts of weed and feed
fertilizer. I told her that I won't do that because at least the weeds
are green and without them I would have major bare patches.

Where I live it is still pretty cool. Weeds aren't growing that well.
While it might be a good idea (probably a little late) to use some
pre-emergent herbicide, it is a waste of money and detrimental to the
environment to apply a post-emergent herbicide now. I have explained this
until I am blue to my neighbors. They insist on putting down "weed and
feed" regardless of the circumstances. What's more frightening, they NEVER
read the directions on any product they use. God only know if they are
applying the stuff at the rate suggested by the manufacturer. I have also
concluded that they shouldn't bother removing any plants from the container
they were grown in because they move things all year long until the plants
are dead. They prune shrubs at the wrong time and complain that they aren't
getting many flowers.