Old 18-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Cyril Cyril is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
zxcvbob wrote:
When I first moved here there were annual red poppies all over the
place. They looked like Flander's poppies except they were double. Not
sure what happened to them; one year they just didn't come back.

we have them around in the limestone mulch
each year. no issues other than if we don't
thin them out or try to contain them we'd
be overrun.

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/poppies.jpg

hard to say without knowing the conditions
for the previous season and how they were
treated.

perhaps you mowed them down before the seeds
were ready? do you have any disturbed and
bare soil for the seeds to sprout in? they
don't seem to get going in the fields here
or in the perennial gardens, but they do find
edges and bare spots to use along with the
wide open limestone areas.

we let them go until they are done flowering
and starting to dry up. then when we harvest the
stems there are plenty of seeds blowing around.
when the cooler and wet weather returns in the
fall then they start sprouting and will stay
green through the winter and then bloom the
next summer.

songbird
These flower are another attractive thing of garden so grow this poppies because these poppies are sweet smell........