Old 18-02-2013, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default OT TV sound

On 2013-02-18 14:09:10 +0000, said:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 23:43:10 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

The average reading age of 7 comes from an NHS induction course for
new staff.

Refuted here

http://bel-epa.com/notes/Ginger/PPIG...eading-age.xml

It's all elementary statistics - note the quote from Sir Claus Moser,
who knows how to express statistics accurately and comprehensibly.

The BEL-EPA 'Home Page' makes interesting reading:

The Bureau of Earth Liaison was established under the Developing
Planetary Systems Initiative (DPSI) in order to promote and maintain
interaction between the peoples of Earth and the wider community.

Q: Is there any evidence of intelligence on Earth?

A: No, I'm only visiting.

This makes me think of the person who asked Mahatma Gandhi what he
thought of western civilisation. He said he thought it would be an
excellent idea. ;-)

The thing that is horrific is that the official scales stop at
a level that is below that many of the postings on this group
and, even then, only 44% of the adult population achieve it.
On that scale, to be able to read anything that contains real
information about politics, economics, or pretty well anything
else needs a level 7 or more. Which is why the UK population is
so ignorant, and so vulnerable to manipulation by the Murdochs,
Daily Wail and other demagogues.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I read the Daily Mail every day, salt cellar in hand. And I know quite
a few others here do, too. I also read the Daily Telegraph, the Mid
Devon Advertiser, the Totnes Times, Country Life and The Lady
(unexpectedly excellent magazine now, for those who haven't seen it in
years) The Oldie and if totally desperate Aircraft. It's a big
Shavian-style mistake to judge people on the papers they read. I'm
sure you and others, have been open to manipulation in your time. Most
of us have, even if we didn't recognise it as such when it was
happening.

What amuses me is the number of people who inveigh against the DM but
who must, surely, read it to be so confident in their opinions? ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com