Old 19-02-2013, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default OT TV sound

On 2013-02-18 18:28:41 +0000, said:

snip

Now, if they still had Flook :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hmmm, don't remember Flook, I'll have to look that one up.

Wiki
"Storylines were written by the singer and writer George Melly, the
comedian Barry Took, the musician Humphrey Lyttelton and the film
critic Barry Norman. In 1953 some were written by Compton
Mackenzie.[2] Several book-length episodes and compilations were
separately published, and the Daily Mail also marketed a Flook toy.
The ironic and bohemian ethos of the strip was curiously at variance
with the stuffy conservatism of the Daily Mail,[1] which finally shut
the strip down, after 10,000 episodes, because the editor, David
English, could not stomach its repeated jabs at the then Prime
Minister, Margaret Thatcher,[3] (though she is said to have enjoyed
it) and the strip's covert criticism of the Mail 's championing of the
cause of Zola Budd.[2] After this Flook ran for a while at the
opposite end of the British press's political spectrum, since the
Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror (diametrically opposed to the Mail's
right wing stance) snapped it up and ran the strip on their cartoon
pages for a few years.
Flook was also adopted as a mascot by 831 Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, and
the character was painted on the squadron aircraft."

There's a full length example here
http://animationresources.org/?p=822

The Lady
really is good now and again, it has some good writers contributing
interesting articles. Rachel Johnson's stint as Editor (she's now
Editor in Chief) gave it the shot in the arm it needed. And from a
female's pov, it's refreshing to be able to read a mag that doesn't
constantly tell us how to look younger, thinner, sexier etc., or
anything else designed to undermine our self-esteem! Let's just say I
know a couple of men who enjoy reading it now, too. I really don't
know why we take Country Life, if I'm to be honest. We enjoy the
articles, though most of the content is advertising. Now that Carla
Carlisle no long writes for them, the best bit for me is the Tottering
By Gently cartoons. And may I gently suggest that reading the DM just
before having a blood pressure test might be something you'd like to
reconsider. ;-)

All those women flaunting their bodies might be just the thing to look
at before a stress ECG. Oh my dicky ticker!

The DM has the best news photos and usuallly is the first with
breaking news. News stories have a lot in common with those in the
Daily Telegraph. Sometimes thé only difference is the font size.

Don't you read GW and The Garden too, Sacha?

I think I was probably a bit young for newspapers in 1953. I read The
Garden but not GW. That'll surprise you! ;-) Ray reads the trade mags
and sometimes I glance at them but I can't say I study them that
carefully! Just about my ex-husband's greatest moment was briefly
playing with the Humphrey Lyttleton band when both played at a charity
ball in Jersey. He was on Cloud 9, even if a little restricted by his
evening wear!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com