Old 19-02-2013, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default New to gardening

"Sycrid" wrote
I just wanted to ask a few questions, and please keep in mind I've never
gardened before, so I'm new to this.

I've just tidied up the front garden this last weekend, ripping out what
I think are weeds, chopping down dead trees and turning over soil which
the previous owner did nothing with.

Anyway, I've bought a collection of bulbs for planting. A mix of white
and red flowers. My first question is, if I plant bulbs in the garden,
will this regrow every year? Or are they a one off thing, once planted
they grow and then die never to return?

Notes: from what I believe I've understood, they should regrow every
year if they successfully grew in the first year.

2. If they do regrow every year do they create new bulbs in the ground
and multiply, so one becomes two, two become four etc?

3. The packaging on the bulbs says I can plant in Feb, is this really
true as I was also reading that frost can damage the bulbs?

and last but not least.

4. If I was to plant the bulbs this weekend, how long would it be before
I start seeing results, so anything green popping out of the ground. Not
the flowers, just green foliage?

If anyone can answer these questions that'd be great.

I'm trying to think what "bulbs" you would plant in February? Must be summer
flowering.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.