Old 24-04-2003, 06:20 PM
mhagen

Default Bosworth and the Sierra Nevada Framework (Long)

massive snip

Comment by poster: I see that the "preservationists" want to defend
the current SNF plan which relies too much on prescribed fire. (They
don't know what they're getting into, methinks G The Regional
Forester here has certainly done his homework and has fully expected
this move. ) I stated several years ago that the plan was "fatally
flawed" because of clean air restraints, public dislike of smoke,
excessive amounts of both live and dead fuels and overstocking of
highly flammable trees.
It will be interesting how the Forest Service will implement the
amended plan, after it makes it through the comment period. With
"outsourcing" still being a biggie in the Bush Administration, can
private industry do a better and cheaper job than the current Forest
Service staff? That will be under study but, the current staff,
decimated by downsizing, retirements and reorganization, is inadequate
to implement the new strategy. Currently, contracting out timber
management work is too expensive and requires intensive inspection (at
even more cost). Previously, much of the on-the-ground work was done
by temporary employees, whose skills were, at many times,
questionable, and resulted in what I called "Federal McForestry". It's
quite a quagmire and I hope it will be worked out soon. I have no
doubt that the amended Sierra Nevada Framework will provide a better
balance of forest management to restore our "Range of Light". (I also
have no doubt that it will provide excellent career opportunities for
myself, and others, who have toiled unselfishly for many years.)

Larry

The Feds can't fix roads or manage forests without additional income and
they sure aren't going to get it from this administration. Unfunded
mandates from on high are are a rallying cry all over. Everybody's
hurting this year. SOME logging and SOME controlled burns are a
necessity just to begin catching up on the backlog.

Our el nino weather pattern looks like it will give us a late wet spring
- that makes it tough for burn bosses since underburns may still be
cooking when the shift to full summer happens. Its a good time for
commercial thinning. Too bad prices are so low.