Old 24-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Alison

Default About to buy a greenhouse

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
Hi there,

I'm about to buy a greenhouse and have sent off for about five brochures
from different companies that I saw in Gardeners World magazine. I need a
free standing one suitable for young kids (ie safety glass), 6 feet wide,
not decided on the length yet - probably 8 or 10 feet long.

Can anyone recommend a company they have bought from?

We live in an exposed area with no windbreak on the prevailing SW side
(greenhouse site) so wind tolerance was a strong factor in our decision
making process. (We went for 4mm toughened safety glass.)

Last year we were considering a Robinson's after much research and
contacted, amongst others, a super company called The Incredibly Sensible
Greenhouse Company (bit of a mouthful but does exactly what it says on the
tin!). In the end we went for a 'special' that Bill, the owner, has
modified from an Elite Belmont - known as a Maxi. He took all the best
things about Robinson's (which he highly recommends too) and zooped up the
Belmont to withstand the worst that the weather could throw at it.
Basically you can have more greenhouse for your money but with no compromise
(we feel) on quality other than whisper closing doors and draught excluders
on the roof vents. This compromise gave us loads of extra bracing, 4mm
toughened glass, extra vents, hanging basket rail which doubles as length
bracing and an extruded shelf doubling as end bracing. So far it has
withstood 48mph winds without flinching - its an 8ft x 16ft.

No I don't work for them! I was just very impressed with their prompt
replies and no nonsense advice. They stock lots of makes and models so
they're quite unbiased - it was almost an afterthought that Bill mentioned
the Maxi. You can find them at:
http://www.isgreenhouses.co.uk/index.html

Good luck

News==----