Old 22-02-2013, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods[_2_] Gary Woods[_2_] is offline

Default Jerusalem artichokes flowers

Katherine W wrote:

Somewhere I read that they should be shortened when about 1,50 m,
cutting off the tops and flower heads to make the plant more wind
resistant. Is that the only reason? Does the flowering affect the crop?
I would love to let the plants grow tall and bloom

I've never had a problem with JAs blowing over, and it DOES get windy on my
hilltop. And the flowers certainly are pretty in the late summer. Be
aware that Jerusalem Artichokes can be invasive- the smallest bit of missed
root will start a whole clump the next season!