Old 22-02-2013, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default late winter notes

today we had a few inches of fluffy
snow to cover. yay! looks nice to see
some snow on the ground.

wandered around the gardens yesterday to
see how things were faring as spring is
getting nearer.

sadly we've not had much snow cover and
the temperatures have been well below
freezing so all the nice garlic tops that
were green and growing have been frozen.
last winter there was snow cover to keep
the worst of the cold from damaging the
tops so we went into spring with plenty of
top growth. it will be interesting to see
if it makes much difference with the final
results.

the spring bulbs continue to try to poke
up further, but it will still be a while yet
before the flowers appear.

the wormies in the worm farm are still
chugging along. i'm at full capacity of
14 containers and most of them are pretty
well populated by now with worms. the last
few started only a month or two ago will take
a bit longer to get busy, but whatever they
do break down of the paper and veggie scraps
is a big improvement over the base clay garden
soil i've mixed in. at least with the worm
bins i do get some chance to play in the dirt
through the winter.

and we are starting to plan what we will
plant where for the veggie gardens. a month
or six weeks and i should be able to start
some of the early planting if we don't have
any late big snow storms. we'll see...

songbird