Old 22-02-2013, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Timothy Murphy Timothy Murphy is offline

Default Lidl cold frame - lids fall through

Chris Hogg wrote:

I wonder if anyone has bought and put together
the cold frame that Lidl is currently selling (in Ireland at least)?

The 2 lids on my frame are not large enough, as far as I can see.
The space is 24in deep, while each lid is 23.5in deep;
so the lids fall through the space.

Not got one, but are you sure you've assembled it correctly? The
picture and description (http://tinyurl.com/bhh6a6o) say it's 59.5 cm
front-to-back, which is 23.4 inches, the size of your lid you say,
which suggests it should fit OK.

The distance from front to back is indeed 23.5 inches.
But the top is sloping, so the distance is a little more -
24 inches as I said.

I see also that the lids are hinged,
so have you got the hinge extrusion the right way round and the lids
fitting into the extrusion correctly?

I don't think these are proper hinges -
they are devices to hold the lids half- or fully-open.

If you fit the rubber seals, are
you sure it doesn't solve the problem? You're only half an inch short,
a gap that might well be taken up by a seal.

The rubber seals - which are not mentioned in the instructions -
are not wide enough to serve this purpose.
Admittedly their function is not very clear, to me at least.

But thanks for your attempts to help me.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net