Old 22-02-2013, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_7_] Ophelia[_7_] is offline

Default Steam clean weeds

"The Original Jake" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:03:05 +0000, Pendrag0n wrote:

Is steam the way to go I wonder?

The principle behind a flame gun is that the cell structure of the top
growth is broken down (NOT burnt) by heat and this means the plant can
no longer photosynthesise and so dies (except for b***** dandelions
and the like which can regrow from the tap root). Whether steam would
be hot enough is debatable. I think I'll stick to my flame gun as
there are no trailing leads to worry about (I'd need a very long lead
to reach all the garden) and it's probably quicker, cheaper and more
environmentally friendly to boot.

But you've got me thinking about whether steam cleaning my gravel
paths would make them look like new again!

I am very interested in this. Please report back if you do?
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/