Old 24-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Oliver B. Lafferty

Default Cub Cadet at Lowes

On 23 Apr 2003 18:18:33 GMT, wrote:
Hm. Every time I've seen something in CR that I own, I've disagreed
strongly with their opinions. Almost to the point where I treat it's
advice as a "Don't do this" kind of a thing.
Bought a Craftsman V-Twin hydrostat and love it.
Careful about Cub Cadet. Consumer Reports likes the line but cautions
on its repair history. It's top 10 worst.

And here seems to be an example. I've never owned a piece of Craftsman
equipment (tools, engine-driven, or electrical) that I haven't regretted
buying. I avoid it now, and have been much happier with my purchases.
Then again, I did step up from a Craftsman riding mower to a 30-year
old John Deer garden tractor, so it's not really the same class of
machine.

I've read the Re Cub Cadet replies and found some useful information
like the high and low end stuff at Lowes and Home Depot as compared to
the dealers stuff. (important to know)
I don't have those problems. I inherited my Dad's Simplicity riding
tractor with all the accessories. It's about 36 years old I think,
the engine is no longer made although some parts are still available
and the last time I tried to get new blades for the mower, Simplicity
had to switch the dealer to the oldest employee at their factory to
find out which were the right ones.
Everything is made of real HEAVY metal and not bendable tin. It is
used every year to mow about two acres although I no longer pull the
plow or use the chipper or snow blower, and from the looks of it, I
think it's going to outlive me, but I do have a grandson to leave it
to.
My trouble is, I'm old enough to think everything should be built to
last instead of the kind of junk now being sold to a much younger
generation that has never known what quality means.
BTW, I avoid Sears like the plague.