Old 23-02-2013, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Lidl cold frame - lids fall through

On 23/02/2013 13:17, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Martin wrote:

I wonder if anyone has bought and put together
the cold frame that Lidl is currently selling (in Ireland at least)?

The 2 lids on my frame are not large enough, as far as I can see.
The space is 24in deep, while each lid is 23.5in deep;
so the lids fall through the space.

The solution is to either take it back and get a refund or assemble
the thing and stop wasting the time of people here; and no she is not
driving 6 miles to her allotment, pulling a cold frame apart to
measure dimensions, especially in this bitterly cold weather.

1. It isn't necessary to "pull the frame apart".
I am simply asking the length of the sloping arm
and the corresponding depth (back-to-front) of the lids.
This would take 10 seconds.

In my case the sloping arm is 24in long,
while the corresponding dimension of the lid is 23.5in.

2. You did not mention that your allotment - or your wife's allotment -
was 6 miles from your home.
That must be a very occasional hobby.

3. I know I could take the frame back. (I enquired about this at Lidl.)
But I quite like it, and would like to know if I erred in its installation,
or if there is something wrong with the batch of frames sent to Dublin.
I imagine the manufacture is automated, so it is hard to see
how some could have been made to the wrong size.

Can you post couple of pictures of it.