Old 23-02-2013, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default In a rush

In article ,
Rick wrote:

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:47:30 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Billy wrote:
Started germinating early this year. The seeds are at least 3 - 5
years old, and were stored in the refrigerator. The peas came on so
fast that I need to find my soil thermometer to see how close I am to
transplant, or re-pot. I almost totally lost a few lettuce potting
cells to neglect, but they have bounced back with watering.
Brandywine, Green Zebra, and Stupice tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers
have shown themselves from last Sundays planting. The peppers,
typically, will take another week to show.

I may have walked myself out on a limb with germinating so soon, but
as we all know, there aren't any mistakes, just experiments.

Week-end work: prepping the lettuce bed, and replacing a Washington
orange tree that hasn't even flowered in the last 5 years, and
replacing it with an apricot. Maybe I can pot the orange and see if
that works.

In any event, the jihad begins.

I am starting my winter stuff next week. The summer veges are still
producing well. I will have to give away beans this week.

We have had heavy rain, a torrent was running through the garden and it's on
a hillside! As of this morning up north a bit at a little place called
Dorrigo they had had 393mm of rain in 24 hours, that's 15 1/2 inches for
those who use ells, fathoms and other archaic measures. My river is
flooding, where I pump water from is about 8m (17 cubits) under, the pump is
of course in the shed, the ends of the pipes will be floating through the
tops of the trees.

I've seen a lot of "pro-metric" posts in various places lately. Being
a scientist I readily convert back and forth. Still I have a fondness
for pecks, bushels, quarts and pints etc. I'd rather have a pint of
beer than 475 mls (well OK a pint is only 473.176473 ml) g. When
cooking it's cups and teaspoons for me- at the bench, grams and
microliters...

You'll have to excuse David, he never had the disadvantages of an
American education. The least educated illegal immigrant has a better
grasp of the metric system than your average American bigot.

Know what you mean about pre-metric. I far prefer un Distingue (fr.), or
eine Mass (de.) to a pint, but when you go to party, you go with the beer
you got, not with the beer you want.

Sounds like you need one of those assault pipettes that can hold at
least 100 ml.

Remember,
He is not drunk, who from the floor
can rise again and drink some more,