Old 24-02-2013, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Sandy killed my garden

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:28:26 AM UTC-5, Chris wrote:
Hi all

I live 1 block from the ocean in Rockaway, NY. My entire property was

inundated with about 7 feet of salt water by Sandy. My lawn is dead.

My azaleas are dead. My butterfly bushes and my lilacs and my day

lilies are dead.

Now that I have a decent start on getting my house fixed, I would like

to ask advice about what to do about my garden and lawn. My main

concern is soil remediation- my property is all sand and given the

proximity to the ocean, it's usually salty but it's got to be severe

now. We've got good drainage and we've had snow and rain since then-

will that have gotten rid of the salt and any contaminants?

All advice appreciated.

Chris

Anything that spreads will hold soil. Isn't Fescue the only grass that grows there? As far a shrubbers goes Hollies don't like sandy soil. I believe some of the Big Box stores actually have someone to come out and give advice.. Of course you would have to buy all the stuff there. Sorry for your destruction but enjoy the clean slate
MJ