Old 24-02-2013, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default help on yard intervention

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:12:51 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hi,

I have about 1/2 acre of thorn bushes that I've finally begun to clear out. There used to be some grass down there.

Currently here is the plan

1. use ryobi triblade to cut down stalks
2. rake/drag them onto a tarp and take to pickup
3. mow over it

4. ahhhhh. ? Here is where I'm not sure what to do.
Do I need to put down some deterrent to similar thorn
bush growth? Or just grass seed and fertilizer?
It doesn't have to be perfect I just want some basic
grass growing there again.

Unless you remove/destroy the roots those bushes will grow right back,
probably stronger than ever. Without knowing what kind of thorny
bushes you have all anyone can offer is wild speculation about how to
best deal with their elimination... and some thorny bushes, like
barberry, are valuable.