Old 24-02-2013, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default help on yard intervention

On 2/24/13 10:12 AM, wrote:
Hi,

I have about 1/2 acre of thorn bushes that I've finally begun to clear out. There used to be some grass down there.

Currently here is the plan

1. use ryobi triblade to cut down stalks
2. rake/drag them onto a tarp and take to pickup
3. mow over it

4. ahhhhh. ? Here is where I'm not sure what to do.
Do I need to put down some deterrent to similar thorn
bush growth? Or just grass seed and fertilizer?
It doesn't have to be perfect I just want some basic
grass growing there again.

Thanks,

itchy

The soil likely contains many, many seeds from the thorny weeds. When
the weather in spring warms, lightly feed the area and keep it moist.
You will likely get new growth of the weeds. You can then till the
soil, use an herbicide, or hand pull the weeds. Any of those three
should eliminate them. However, you will have to repeat this for a few
months to ensure all the weed seeds have sprouted.

When you finally plant grass seed and the grass is well established, mow
frequently to elminate the few residual weeds. If you mow frequently
enough that the grass clippings are quite small, you can leave the
clippings to improve the soil and possibly smother new seedling weeds.
However, you should rake away any large clippings of the weeds themselves.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see