Old 25-02-2013, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default help on yard intervention

wrote:
Hi,

I have about 1/2 acre of thorn bushes that I've finally begun to clear out. There used to be some grass down there.

Currently here is the plan

1. use ryobi triblade to cut down stalks
2. rake/drag them onto a tarp and take to pickup
3. mow over it

4. ahhhhh. ? Here is where I'm not sure what to do.
Do I need to put down some deterrent to similar thorn
bush growth? Or just grass seed and fertilizer?
It doesn't have to be perfect I just want some basic
grass growing there again.

get a mix of grass seed that is suitable to
your area and climate. however, it's pretty
likely the soil already has seeds in it that
will pop up once the brush is removed. lowest
budget and most carefree ground cover is what
is native or what comes on the wind.

i wouldn't bother with fertilizer. the soil
is likely fertile enough. especially if you
use a mulching mower.

when you cut the bushes down get as close to
the surface of the soil as possible because those
bush stalks will be around for a few years before
they decompose.

keep it mowed regularly and that will keep most
of the bushes from regrowing. if they do get too
big to take out with the mower just keep at them
with the triblade. i hate using herbicides
but spot treating the difficult cases is much
better than spraying the whole area.

regular mowing also helps it look neater. i
keep the mower cutting height fairly high.

the roots from the bushes will eventually break
down and mushrooms will pop up. the mower will
mulch those too... i.e. no worries.

songbird