Old 26-02-2013, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default In a rush

Rick wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 08:31:34 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

songbird wrote:
Rick wrote:
I've seen a lot of "pro-metric" posts in various places lately.
Being a scientist I readily convert back and forth. Still I have a
fondness for pecks, bushels, quarts and pints etc. I'd rather have
a pint of beer than 475 mls (well OK a pint is only 473.176473 ml)
g. When cooking it's cups and teaspoons for me- at the bench,
grams and microliters...

pint is a varied measure. isn't it the Brits who
use 20fl oz for the pint?

songbird

Yes but their fluid oz is a different size so all is right with the
world. Of course if we had been talking about a pint of beans the
volume would have been different from beer.

To show that serious drinkers have it sorted out across the atlantic
a traditional whisky bottle in the US is the same volume as in the
UK, being a fifth of a gallon and a sixth of a gallon respectively.
To make things easy the former is called a fifth, the latter would
be a sixth, right? No the latter is a reputed quart.

Strangely a litre is the same anywhere in the world whatever you
measure with it. How weird is that!

David

Actually, it depends on the temperature and atmospheric pressure. A
liter is only a liter under standard conditions.

This applies to any liquid measure regardless of units, I was talking about
the oddities of traditional naming of units.

Interesting about
thw whisky bottle sizes. However if the British really get 1/6 gallon
they get over half a ml extra (under standard conditions of course)!

Can any of the Banterers confirm if the rep quart is still in use in the UK?
It hasn't been used here since metrication. I would expect it has now been
rounded to 750ml, or if originating from the continent 700ml.