Old 24-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Bernard Golden

Default Help. I am a flax killer!

I am looking for some help about growing plants from seed. I have twice
gotten some flax started by seed, and after they've gotten to about 1" tall,
they keel over and die. Any thoughts about why? I'm reluctant to just keep
planting more until I have a good chance of success. I've heard of
'damping off', but other than it having an eerie name, have no idea what
causes it, how to stop having it, or, indeed, even whether my plants are
suffering from it.

On another subject, I got some basil going and transplanted the plants
outside at about 3". The leaves immediately started turning yellow and then
black and the plants died. Can anyone give me an idea of what might have
caused this?

I have had success with starting other plants from seed and transplanting
them, so it must be something specific to these two.

TIA

Bernard Golden