Old 27-02-2013, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aphid control on indoor citrus

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

I haven't been able to find any other 'edibles-safe' systemic
insecticide. You could either try a contact insecticide or simply try
washing the aphids off with a mild detergent solution, as Chris
suggested.

I think it does more than just wash them off. AIUI, the soap solution
wets them very effectively, including into their spiracles (breathing
holes) and they drown. I think Nick Maclaren recommends adding a dash
of meths to the brew for extra effectiveness.

I do, but I wasn't the originator. I tend to use soft soap (Savona),
which is available from Tuckers, but diluted washing-up liquid with
a dash of meths works well, too. They work the same way.

It both blocks their spiracles and tends to wash the waxy coating
off ones that have it (e.g. mealybugs), which then dessicate. And
you can use it immediately before eating the product, and in large
quantities (i.e. spray the plants until they are running with it).
A few plants are supposed to be sensitive to it, but I haven't
had trouble.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.