Old 28-02-2013, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Blast [email protected] Blast thubten@austin.rr.com is offline

Default Poppies

Oh all these hysterionics with regard to poppy seeds...how silly.
Seeds do not have opium in them. The opium sap has to be harvested
from the outside of the seed pod at a very specific time with a very
specific method.

People can indeed legally buy the seeds, AND I've seen plants of
Papaver somniferum L. in nurseries. In the US, this is not a law
which is enforced since we do not have a heroine manufacturing
culture. Like everything else, we import our heroine from Afganistan.
On 12 Feb 2013 22:42:03 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:57:17 +0000 (UTC), NightMist wrot

The seeds are legal, the flowers are legal, the dried seed pods are legal.
The plants and the straw are illegal.

Quoting from http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21...08/1308_12.htm
previously referenced: (a) Schedule II shall consist of the drugs and
other substances, by whatever official name, common or usual name,
chemical name, or brand name designated, listed in this section. Each
drug or substance has been assigned the Controlled Substances Code
Number set forth opposite it. ... (3) Opium poppy and poppy straw

And if you need mo 21 USC 802:
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/21usc/802.htm
(19) The term "opium poppy" means the plant of the species Papaver somniferum L., except the seed thereof.

And for the rest of this argument, I refer you to:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/rec.gardens/2p7eUhmul4A

I repeat, just because you haven't been prosecuted, doesn't mean you
won't be. Depends on the political climate, who you've po'd, whether
someone recognizes what you're growing, and the current state of finances
of the local law enforcement agencies (property seizure laws are commonly
brought into play on drug busts).

Would I chance it? Not on your tintype, and when I worked for a nursery,
that's what I told the owners who had purchased some plants for sale.
Oddly enough, the plants in question all disappeared by the next day
I worked -- I'm guessing they had a chance to talk to their lawyer.