Old 28-02-2013, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Blast [email protected] Blast thubten@austin.rr.com is offline

Default Tree ID help needed

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 19:55:07 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 2/4/13 10:54 AM, wrote:
I've not been able to match this tree to the descriptions in my old middle school library field guides.

The tree is growing over 30 feet tall and does not seem too rare in some edge situations. I've attached a link to a picture of it on our fledgling nature trail site, as one of the hikers was curious about what it was. Here's the link:
https://sites.google.com/site/carrin.../photo-gallery

Thanks,

Dave Ross
Durham, NC

If the flowers are blue or lavender, the identification on your cited
Web page is correct: Paulownia tomentosa.

Not necessarily true. P.kawakamii is not an invasive variety of
Paulownia. It has lavender/blue flowers and I have one in my yard for
a very long time and not one seed has germinated, anywhere. There are
Paulownia plantations in areas of the US because of how fast it grows
and its uses as a viable renewable resource. Not all are P. tomentosa
if they are lavender or blue. Just as an FYI.