Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT TV sound

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:04:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:15:44 -0000, Janet wrote:

English city where the average reading age is 7.

Where would that be? With a reference please

Somewhere near the 7 bridge?

Under it, more like. I've never heard of an adult population having
their reading ages tested/recorded.

That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Some one "clever" probably did a survey of 50 adults on a council sink
estate and extrapolated the results to cover the whole city.

Having said that a google produces many hits which state the UK average
reading age is around 8 or 9. B-(

Which makes an average reading age of 7 plausible.

http://www.pitsnpots.co.uk/2010/05/w...oblem-locally/
"Councillors had a meeting yesterday with Alan Turley from the LSP
giving an update on progress in a number of areas.

He revealed that 50,000 adults in Stoke-on-Trent are functionally
illiterate (literacy or numeracy). [20% of the population]

I would argue that this has a dramatic impact on the level of literacy
of children and young adults leaving education, as this indicates that
many parents or carers do not have the basic skills to support
children outside of the school environment. ..."
--

As the oldest child (by far) I taught my two brothers to read and write
before they went to school at 5 years old.