Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 AM
octatonic octatonic is offline
Registered User

Default Novice gardener requires help re privet and clematis.

Hello,

I have a problem with a privet hedge and a clematis that I planted last year.
They are in my front garden which is west facing.

A few months ago the privet started dropping leaves and the clematis started to shrivel.
Initially I put it down to being winter until recently where it now looks as though something else might be going on.
The privet does seem to be getting new shoots/buds/er... I don't know what they are called.

I am a complete novice gardener (I'm sure this is stunningly obvious by now).

I've uploaded some photo's of what is going on- any help is appreciated.

Can the clematis or the hedge be saved?

Leaves from the hedge:

Dying clematis?

Close up of clematis leaves:

Leaves lost on privet

Rest of the privet- progressively losing leaves.

Closeup of privet stem:

Thanks.