Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Original Jake The Original Jake is offline

Default How to kill couch quickly

On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 21:15:38 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

A patch of my garden borders a field which is covered
in couch grass. The field is being sold, and is no
longer home to any animals.

During this short hiatus, I would very much like to
murder the edge of the field's couch grass. Given that
grass is not growing very quickly at present, and I
need a quick solution, can anyone suggest a
product/method that would do the job - preferably
without leaving a harmful residue that could affecy
animals.

Glyphosate is AFAIK your only option, probably with a couple of repeat
treatments. There is no selective weedkiller that is effective on
couch.

Downside is that if, say, you killed a metre border around the field,
in a couple of years couch in the remainder would have grown and be
invading your territory again.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the sensible end of Swansea Bay where the ground is
drying out nicely and the pond is back where it ought to be.