Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Original Jake The Original Jake is offline

Default The Price of Bird food!

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 20:18:42 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

Needing some more sunflower hearts, I trawled the
internet and was amazed at the variation in price. For
a 25Kg sack, the costs were from around £30 to £66.

How do they get away with it!

I know that some may say - "you get what you pay for",
but those prices are ridiculous, and I doubt if the
birds will notice the difference!

Although I'm happy to be proved wrong, £30 for 25Kg of sunflower
hearts sounds very suspicious to me. £50-55 delivered would be
reasonable in today's market, unless you're lucky enough to have some
bulk supplier in the neighbourhood. £66 is probably the RSPB who
always keep their prices down to encourage us to feed the birds (I
jest!).

What I can't get over is the increase in the price of peanuts over the
last year. They'll be going off the menu here once existing stocks
are consumed.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the sensible end of Swansea Bay where the ground is
drying out nicely and the pond is back where it ought to be.