Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default The Price of Bird food!

"The Original Jake" wrote ...

Roger Tonkin wrote:

Needing some more sunflower hearts, I trawled the
internet and was amazed at the variation in price. For
a 25Kg sack, the costs were from around £30 to £66.

How do they get away with it!

I know that some may say - "you get what you pay for",
but those prices are ridiculous, and I doubt if the
birds will notice the difference!

Although I'm happy to be proved wrong, £30 for 25Kg of sunflower
hearts sounds very suspicious to me. £50-55 delivered would be
reasonable in today's market, unless you're lucky enough to have some
bulk supplier in the neighbourhood. £66 is probably the RSPB who
always keep their prices down to encourage us to feed the birds (I
jest!).

What I can't get over is the increase in the price of peanuts over the
last year. They'll be going off the menu here once existing stocks
are consumed.

Your birds actually eat peanuts? We have given up putting them out as they
were never eaten and always ended up being thrown away because they went
mouldy. Since we started putting out sunflower seed hearts the goldfinches
have abandoned the nijer seed so that too will be off the menu soon. The
only bird that seems not to prefer the sunflower seed is the Dunnock who
still persists with the normal mixed seed.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.