Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Original Jake The Original Jake is offline

Default The Price of Bird food!

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 22:52:33 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Your birds actually eat peanuts?

Tits, nuthatches, woodpeckers and, would you believe, robins go for
peanuts here. But they all go for sunflower hearts as well. Even the
woodpeckers now visit the bird table, though somewhat clumsily. They
always start by hanging from it upside down and pecking at the
underside before moving to the top.

I have two problems - the cost of two sacks each of sunflower and
peanuts is over £100 a month and I simply cannot afford to continue.
Plus the sacks take up space. So I'm cutting the peanuts out (and not
increasing the volume of sunflowers). The greedy blighters will just
have to make do with that.

Any bird wanting mixed seed can find it elsewhere. I got fed up with
the weeding and the waste.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the sensible end of Swansea Bay where the ground is
drying out nicely and the pond is back where it ought to be.