Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
usenet2012 usenet2012 is offline

Default Steam clean weeds

In message , David Hill
writes
On 22/02/2013 20:33, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Had a Eureka moment today to use one of those modern portable hand
steamers to kill weeds. Cant patent the idea as the yanks have already
thought of it!

Has anyone tried this and if so what is the success rate

but steam has been used to sterilize soil for well over 3/4 of a
century ago.
I wonder is an industrial one could be adapted to use for soil
sterilization.

My father used a box-shaped device in his greenhouse to sterilise moist
soil in the 1960's. I remember the smell it gave off as being pleasant.
(Memories of childhood.) I asked him soon before he died whether he
still had it and whether I could use it. He brought out a large metal
box which appeared to simply to involve current direct from the mains
running across the soil. I decided against it.

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.