Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default EDGEWORTHIA chrysantha

On 2013-03-11 08:45:14 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message

Does anyone in urg grow this outdoors in the garden (in the UK)?

I've just seen it for sale in Scotland but have some doubts about the
vendor's
hardiness claim

Janet

There is a plant of this in the border in front of the house at Wisley, I
checked this January while visiting and it is unprotected and un damaged (I
accept its been a mild winter but its a large shrub so its been there a few
years) I would say if it gets good summer heat it will take occasional -10c

Gardening is always a compromise :-) In a typical winter my Arran garden will
have a few nights where the temp dips below 0C. The coldest so far this
winter was -
2C.But, we do not get anything I could seriously call "good summer
heat". Every few
siummers or so the temp briefly reaches 74 for an afternoon or so and
we all start
flopping around imagining the onset of heat exhaustion.

I agree there's sometimes a good reason a plant is "never seen".. but quite
often, it's not been seen just because it never had a good publicity agent. I
already grow several such plants which have proved to be perfectly
happy and hardy
in my garden to a regular chorus from visitors of "whatever is that,
never seen it
for sale".

Anyway, since several posters have reported seeing Edgworthia
surviving in colder
spots than mine, I reckon it's worth a gamble, so this afternoon I went
back to the
GC and bought one.

Janet

Same for us here Janet, lack of summer heat is a bigger problem than
winter cold.

Plus winter wet! We had a Cytisus battandieri in what we thought was a
sheltered spot and it lasted precisely one year. I don't think it was a
particularly cold winter, so suspect it was the wet wot got it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com