Old 12-03-2013, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spot the fruit (please).

In article ,
T i m wrote:

Mum tasted a bit of one and she thinks it tasted 'appley', and not at
all sour or bitter (considering it was so small etc). We wondered if
it had sweetened up as it matured etc?

That's fairly common, but crab apples aren't always sour or bitter.

Would a picture of the tree or a leaf (if there are any) cinch it do
you think?

Not of the tree. A leaf might, but someone would need to check
whether there are any Malus allies with similar fruit. Personally,
I would call it a crab apple and leave it at that - trying to
divide them up into Malus this and Malus that is a job for a
more botanically adept person (with all due apologies). I never
bother.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.