Old 13-03-2013, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default wet wet wet summer

On 2013-03-13 12:01:24 +0000, zaax said:

According forecasters this summer is setting up to be another wet one
just ike last summer. So harvest will be down and floods every where

Given that any reputable met source will tell you that a 5 day forecast
is stretching it, that's not worth a passing thought.

And yet the Met Office make a pile of money selling long range
forecasts to farmers etc. I suppose these must be computer predictions
based on past weather patterns?

No idea, to be frank. I would suggest that all you can predict re
British weather is that it may be a bit warmer in spring and summer
than it is in autumn and winter. I am married to a nurseryman who
watches the weather forecast twice a day and is never surprised at the
actual weather varying from the forecast or doing precisely what it
says. Within one day we can experience rain, sun, gale, no wind, cloud
and at night, frost. The only thing that makes him really cross - from
a business pov - is hearing that it's piddling with rain in Devon (BIG
county)when we're looking out at brilliant sunshine. So - forecasters
do their best and why wouldn't they? But this country is an island
subjected to ever-changing conditions from several directions.
Certainty is not an option.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com