Old 15-03-2013, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Still Rushing

Steve Peek said:

Spagetti squash is a very poor substitute for pasta. It's bland mushy and
virtually tasteless. Go with the butternut, it's quite nutrisious and keeps well
in storage. I've tried many of the smaller winter squashes and always come
back to butternuts.

I agree; butternut squash is a better choice.

Butternuts (Cucurbita. moschata) are also resistant to squash vine borers while
spaghetti squash (C. pepo) are quite vulnerable.

I've found the 'cheese' types to be more productive for me than the 'necked'
types you more typically see these days. The necked types are very easy to
to process, but the 'cheese' types keep better, so the solution is to grow both
sorts. A list of some of the 'cheese' types I am familiar with follows.

Highly recommended 'Autumn Crown' (F1) available from
several sources, including:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7827-autumn-crown-f1.aspx

Similar to the above, but larger, 'Long Island Cheese' Heirloom variety
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7194-lo...nd-cheese.aspx

Highly recommended 'Rumbo'
http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=03662&c=138&p=Rumbo+Hybrid+Squash

'Musque de Provence' an heirloom variety VERY similar to 'Rumbo'
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6552-mu...-provence.aspx

'Fairytale' is described by Stokes as C. maxima but actually similar
to 'Rumbo' and 'Musque de Provence' (from the illustration we can
see from the stem it is NOT C. maxima*):
http://www.stokeseeds.com/product.as...CategoryID=122

*I think the confusion is that they are selling it as similar in appearance
to 'Cinderella' AKA 'Rouge vif d'Etampes' squash which IS a C. maxima
squash. C. maxima have rounded, rather corky looking stems.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored