Old 15-03-2013, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Still Rushing

Billy wrote:
I'm still surprised at the discrepancy between the average air temp, and
the soil temp. Night temps here in the mid-30s for the last few days,
but the planted peas seem to be OK, so I'll put in more today. They
don't seem to be doing well under the grow light. I may be time to
replaces the bulbs.

i won't be planting anything for a while yet.
grow lights do need to be replaced every so often.
do they have LED grow lights yet?

it's been colder here than average temps. today's
forecast is for more rain/snow and the next week looks
like we'll have overnight temperatures in the teenies.
even though i went out yesterday and weeded a little
as it was a sunny day and i wanted to be outside
doing something/anything. i moved a few leaves around
one garden and found frozen ground under the top inch
of leaves. in the raised tulip gardens i could get
some of the weeds scraped. where the tulips are just
now poking above the ground it's a good idea to get
the weeds out before the tulips start growing.

I have one more round for my starting plants. The first sweet pepper
seeds I tried were too old, and I'm not sure that they were refrigerated
all this time, so I need to try germinating fresher seeds this time.
Then I need to get the sweet basil, parsley, chervil, and cilantro
started.

good luck on those.

Ever try spaghetti squash? Anyone have any opinions as how it compares
to pasta? I have room (I think) for 1 or 2 winter squash. Trying to make
up my mind about which (butternut, acorn, or spaghetti).

spaghetti squash is bland enough like zucchini
but zucchini is more productive. i'd put butternut
in instead. acorn is too bland too, especially as
often found in the stores the past dozen years. it
used to be that you could find acorn squash with
yellow-orange centers. now it is often pale yellow
and fairly tasteless.

songbird