Old 15-03-2013, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Still Rushing

In article ,
songbird wrote:
do they have LED grow lights yet?

Yes, in a choice of spectra; 7 different versions on the last vendor I
spent much time looking at, supposedly optimized for different things
(vegetation, flowering, etc). Cost is improving, but still kinda out
there, so I'm still using cool white fluorescents with a bit of low-watt
incandescent added - seems to work as well as overpriced purply "grow
light bulbs" for a lot less money.

Now, if the bulbs cost the same (they don't where I shop) the purply
things (basically lots of red and blue, no green, since plants reflect
green because they don't use it) would be "better", though in my case
the plant starter is also something I look at in the house, so I'm just
as happy to have white light on it for my sake. Aside from "still
expecting rapid improvements in LED efficiency and cost" one reason I
didn't even spring for a test-lamp of the LEDs I was looking at was that
they are really horrifically purply in the name of being efficient for
people outfitting huge greenhouses with supplemental light, and not
caring what it looks like so long as it's what the plants actually use.
I'm not that customer.

Cool white supplies the blue, and incandescents supply red/IR in the
bootleg solution (I didn't come up with it - I read a book which
somewhat predated "grow light bulbs" where they had figured that
solution out.)

spaghetti squash is bland enough like zucchini
but zucchini is more productive. i'd put butternut
in instead. acorn is too bland too, especially as

I'll put in a plug for buttercup here - or 'nut from your list. I like
'cup a bit better. If you want spaghetti, grow durham wheat. Spaghetti
squash, well, just isn't.