Old 24-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Siting of vegetable garden

In article ,
Jayne wrote:

I'm trying to decide on a spot for a vegetable garden - at the front of my
house there is a small area of useless lawn in front of my kitchen window,
next to the driveway. It is about 3m x 3m so would be a good size for a
vegetable/herb garden. It is surrounded by the house on one side, a hedge &
low stone wall on two sides & the driveway on the 4th (where I could put up
a small fence & gate to enclose it.) It would be safe from my boistrous dog
& children there!
It is more or less west facing & gets plenty of light, but not direct
sunlight all day.
I'm in the south-west of England.

Would this work as a vegetable garden?

For many vegetables, yes, but would not be adequate for those that
need a lot of sun. Mine isn't all that different :-(

You should avoid the subtropicals that need a lot of light, though
you don't have enough space for many of them. Sweetcorn is iffy,
winter squashes and pumpkins are worse, and so on. Of the things
that you are more likely to try, basil, chillies and tomatoes may
not do all that well. But the first two make reasonable pot plants
for a sunny windowsill.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.