Old 17-03-2013, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Snow

"Baz" wrote

Emery Davis wrote
Baz wrote:

It's been snowing for only 10 minutes or so and it's already settling.
The flakes are as big as a 10p piece. Lots of them too.
An hour before that it was hissing with rain.

Still plenty of snow in places after the extraordinary amount last week,
but the main problem is runoff. Standing water everywhere, and a stream
going through the wood shed. I actually have a (temporary) fountain in
the back garden where water is bubbling up to a height of 2 or 3 inches
from a mole hole!

We've had all sorts today, rain, hail, snow, bright sunshine at the
moment. At least nothing has stuck, and the great melting continues.

3 seasons all in 1 day! Apart from summer, that's too much to ask isn't it.
I have great expectations, even so, for the veg. plot this year.
The 1/2 allotment that I have will still be waterlogged I think 'till April
even if it is fine weather from today. Clay soil.

We too are on a clay/silt soil so haven't been able to do any winter digging
this year and whilst I did get the top few inches rotavated a couple of
weeks ago the soil below that was still too soggy to go deeper. Certainly
too soggy to use a fork. Due to the heavy rain it's now back to square one.
No chance of digging in the manure this year and the early spuds will have
to be planted in the mire and take their chance.
I do hope this season does not go the way of last season, total write-off.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.